Thursday, October 8, 2009

Art Can Be Found Anywhere, From Anyone!

This blog entry was written by Jon Solbakken. Jon is a part of the Gallery of Dreams team and staff. He is an emerging artist and apprentice to Tim Trask.

Being a member of the team at the Gallery of Dreams as well as apprenticing under Master Sculptor Tim Trask has really immersed me in the world of fine art for some time now. Part of what I do for the gallery is to aid in the reception of new art. This involves assessing the quality and saleability of fine art. For me personally, there are a few questions that enter my mind. The first question is: Does this piece reflect the artist themselves? The next questions that follow are: What is the story behind this piece? What emotion is the artist attempting to tap into from their potential collectors?

Having this knowledge and experience viewing fine art has opened new doors for me in so many ways. One of which has been judging local art shows in and around Cochise County. The latest event I judged was the Fine Art Exhibition at the Cochise County Fair in Douglas, Arizona. There were two main categories in this exhibition. One was for students and the other was adults. These were of course divided into many sub categories, but to save time, I will only mention a few.

The student category included paintings, graphite drawings, and multi-media pieces. The adult category basically consisted of amateurs, semi-professional, and professional. I was truly impressed by what I saw presented in the students category! They showed tremendous talent and possess vast amounts of potential. With the right encouragement and teaching, I believe that these and other students around the nation would be enabled to bring true innovation and a shift in the perception of fine art as we know it! WE NEED TO SUPPORT OUR STUDENTS ART PROGRAMS!

As for the adults, we'll just say that I was slightly more critical of their work. I'm not saying that I wasn't impressed with it. I just expect more out them. There were a few that were absolutely excellent! These artists were showing a mastery of their talents and really trying to push the envelope! Their composition was good, their presentation was wonderful, and just by viewing the pieces, I could see a real part of the artist in them. Ironically enough, My "Best of Show" choice went to a semi-professional.

This just goes to show you that great art can be found anywhere, from anyone! I think we are on the verge of something great in the world of fine art! I believe we are at the cusp of a new movement and I can't wait to see what the future will bring. What do you think the future will bring in the world of art? Do you think you are starting to see it now? If so, do tell! I am always keeping my eyes and mind open!

Jon Solbakken
Gallery of Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment